I love my Jo Totes Millie but was in need of a larger bag for days when I require extra space for Camera + Kids. Carrying a camera bag and a diaper bag just isn’t practical. Originally I was thinking of purchasing the Gracie but the colors and design of the Rose appealed to me a bit more. Here is my Jo Totes Rose Camera Bag in Coral
A few stats from Jo Totes:
- Exterior material: lambskin pattern, water-resistant, top quality faux leather in coral
- Interior fabric: black cotton with tiny white dots
- 1/2" foam sewn into the lining of all four sides and the bottom of the bag
- Four adjustable pads made from 1/2" foam (two with soft velcro panels for horizontal placement)
- One adjustable, large padded divider for ipad/tablet
- Removable and adjustable cross-body strap
- Optional shoulder pad
- Durable and smooth-gliding metal zipper
- Optional-use magnetic closures on top for times when your bag is less full, or in place of using the zipper when quick access is necessary
- 8" drop from shoulder
- Exterior: pleated sides; large zippered back pocket; rosette and pleated front panel
- Interior pockets: two open pockets; one zippered pocket
- Metal color: brushed silver
- Four metal feet
- Size: 16 3/4" x 11" x 6"
I’ve taken this bag around town a few times now and overall I am satisfied with it. The color is definitely “Coral”, it was a bit pink in other review photos I saw online but it’s definitely a true coral color, pinkish but in an orange tone (does that make sense? lol).
- Holds a good bit
- Lots of dividers, so many that I couldn’t even use a couple of them, but that gives you plenty of layout options
- Cute design, colors/interior colors
- Padding is thick
- Love the magnetic clasps up top for quick access
- The small details like the latches on the side that give it style and function
- Metal feet on the bottom, great for protection against dirty floors
- Wipes clean easily
- Doesn’t scratch too easily
- Can be a bit awkward to close with tall items due to the way the top is more narrow than the bottom
- I haven’t found a way to comfortably use the interior pockets since most of the items inside cover them up, this is probably just a problem with me since my bag items are tall and not all camera related.
- It’s a big bag, I’m not sure if this can be considered a "Con" though since it’s inevitable with the padding and storage capacity…. I found that I couldn't use the longer strap since the bag looked awkward sitting on my hip. Tucked under the arm using the short handles was the only way that I could get it to not be so ostentatious. All these problems may not affect someone who is accustom to larger bags though. I’m 5’3” average frame so it doesn't take much bag to swallow me up. The shoulder strap will definitely be handy during a photoshoot though when function is more important than style.
- The metal zipper although sturdy tends to snag and scratch. I have to be careful loading my equipment and watch my hands since the zipper is a bit rough. This is one of those things I expect to eventually just adjust to and not be bothered by.
Pocket on the back, I stick my IPhone 4s with attached case in here, for quick access.
Interior zipper pocket (a bit difficult to reach once everything is loaded in bag), I put my CF cards in here since they’re not something I need access to often
2 interior pockets 1 large, 1 small (a bit difficult to reach once everything is loaded in bag), I haven’t found a use for these. They are so close to the top of bag that it’s hard to pull up the zippered edge and slip items in there. Might work for a battery charger or business cards though…..
I only used 3 dividers. There is also another short divider provided and a long divider available for a tablet/ipad.
What can you squeeze in there?
- Canon 5D Mark II with attached Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L Lens
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Lens
- Canon 430EX Speedlite Flash
- Transcend 32 GB Compact Flash Card
- Sunglasses & Case
- Wet wipes clutch
- A couple diapers (a mom necessity)
- Clutch 9”x5” loaded with a hairbrush, chapstick, checkbook, CC’s, Cash Envelopes, Pen, Change…..lots of stuff it’s pretty big…. I use this for quickly changing purses, all essentials are in the clutch so purse swapping is simple
- Lotion…Yeah I need to get this into a smaller travel bottle, might help save space
Normally I don’t carry all my lenses and flash but wanted to show that it will fit in this bag if you need to carry everything!
For days out with the kids I’ll usually just bring my camera with attached 50mm lens (a good all around lens) and that leaves room for snacks, clothes and juice boxes.